top of page

The Retailer Energy Efficiency Scheme (REES) is a South Australian Government energy efficiency scheme that provides incentives for South Australian households and businesses to save energy. It does this through establishing energy efficiency and audit targets to be met by electricity and gas retailers.

Part 4 of the Electricity (General) Regulations 2012 (under the Electricity Act 1996) and Part 4 of the Gas Regulations 2012 (under the Gas Act 1997) (Regulations) establish the policy framework of the REES. The scheme initially commenced on 1 January 2009 as the Residential Energy Efficiency Scheme. From 1 January 2015, the Residential Energy Efficiency Scheme was replaced by the Retailer Energy Efficiency Scheme and now includes small business. The Regulations can be viewed at

The Regulations establish the Essential Services Commission of SA (the Commission) as the administrator of the REES. The Commission administers the scheme within the parameters defined by the policy framework to ensure that energy retailers comply with the REES. The Commission is also responsible for reporting to the Minister for Mineral Resources and Energy annually on retailers’ progress in achieving the required targets.

Information for households and businesses

South Australian households and businesses may be able to access discounted or free energy efficiency activities from energy retailers participating in the REES. Low-income households may also be able to receive an energy audit.

The Minister for Mineral Resources and Energy has set the approved REES energy efficiency activities; however, each energy retailer participating in the scheme decides on what mix of those energy efficiency activities it will undertake to meet its targets.

To find out what activities energy retailers are currently offering, you can contact any of the obliged energy retailers in South Australia, not just the retailer currently supplying you. Energy retailers may contract out their energy audits and energy efficiency activities to third-party contractors, and you may also contact these third-party contractors directly.




bottom of page